|Podcasts||Community||Create a Podcast|
Soundtrack for living. Folk, Rock, Electronic, Balkan, Latin, Experimental, Ambient
Pillars, Stakes, Dragons and Snakes.
March 12, 2013 05:31 AM PDT
How many pillars a day can you squeeze in? I'm a very very new student to Taijiquan (Tai Chi). So here, roughly, some warm up, then short form, applications, and finally some qigong….It could be much much longer in reality. OR just sit back and listen. [no chit chat in this one]
1. Close Chorus - A Sunny Day In Glasgow
November 25, 2012 12:31 PM PST
1. Mount Saint Helens(iii) Dead Zone (May 19, 1980) - Timba Harris timbaharris.com/
4. Jump Up - Doldrums http://pantheonrecliner.tumblr.com/#17167709288
5. Night Swim - Frankie Rose http://www.missfrankierose.com/Undone
October 12, 2012 01:10 PM PDT
Very brief moment of melancholy.
Soft Sound of Your Voice - Sparrow and the Workshop
Have a terrible cold so no intro.Home
September 20, 2012 06:43 AM PDT
1. The Wall- Tareq Abboushi & Shusmo
August 20, 2012 12:01 PM PDT
This is loud and really rather good. Contains lyrics, rhythms and key signatures that might make you feel uneasy.
NB some swearing involved
1. The Offer - Djevera www.djevara.co.uk
2. Neo Tokyo - Alright The Captain alrightthecaptain.bandcamp.com
3. Cupid - Flash Bang Band www.flashbangband.net
4. Intropression - Jack Dupon www.jack-dupon-rock-progressif.net
5. Wheezy Boy - Thumpermonkey thumpermonkey.com
6. Total Dunkelheit - Black Magic Six www.facebook.com/blackmagicsix
7. Pearly White - Wonk Unit www.facebook.com/pages/WONK-UNIT/13537624625
8. Caffeine Splash - Poino poino.bandcamp.comSprung
May 05, 2012 10:28 AM PDT
After finding a few loopholes through major technical issues I've managed to put this one together. I hope it plays ok!
1. Seventy Cops - Steroid Maximus
February 16, 2012 01:36 PM PST
1. One Silver Dollar - The Kills 2. Gift Horse's Mouth - Ulrich Schnauss & Mark Peters 3. Lava - Air 4. Soaring Science - Attilio Mineo and His Orchestra 5. Asteroid Hop - Jimmie Haskell and His Orchestra 6. Macaco (Novalima Remix) - Novalima 7. Ode to Sad Disco - Mark Lanegan BandProceed as planned
January 22, 2012 07:49 AM PST
I recommend headphones for this one. I doubt you will be able to eat, drink, study, write, dance or sing while listening. Concentrating on anything else may be very difficult. But a good heavy dose of aural niceties including a reminder to follow your own path from Us3, an internal polar shift from Pigshackle, a postponement from Emiliana Torrini and also my little jingle which might help to deprogram you, care of The Andy K Show. And more so do listen through....
1. The Snare - Zero dB
September 09, 2011 03:59 AM PDT
Slipping into Autumn, as the rains start again..hang on...did they every stop? Anyway, remember tomorrow comes early.
1. Drownin' in It - Batucada Sound Machine - Don't Keep Silent
August 08, 2011 09:19 AM PDT
London is burning. Are they howling or do they just want a flat screen tv? Anyway, contemplate that to this.
1. Rope - Orchestra Morphine
August 08, 2011 09:11 AM PDT
Some long awaited bellydance goodness.
1. The Wish - Raquy and the Cavemen
July 23, 2011 01:00 PM PDT
Pure unadulterated eclecticism.
1. Tender Buttons - Broadcast
July 18, 2011 02:30 PM PDT
I seem to compile rather a lot of 'rainy day' type mixes. Ah well. Whatever suits.
1. Borrowed Arms - 2 Foot Yard
May 29, 2011 12:09 PM PDT
Nostalgic lounge I think best describes this set...The films of Kar Wai Wong definitely provided inspiration for this one. Enjoy!
1. Entre Tu Amor y Mi Amor - Felipe Pirela
February 13, 2011 11:25 AM PST
It wasn't meant to be but ended up rather melancholy - a Valentine's Day soundtrack. Oh well. Crack open the wine and make sure you have plenty of chocolate to hand.
1. First We Kiss - Anna Calvi www.annacalvi.com
December 31, 2010 10:46 AM PST
1. Carpathian Blues - John Stetch
December 06, 2010 11:37 AM PST
A little soundtrack for your crimbo gatherings. Hug your friends and family (the ones you like, anyway).
Have a good one, go easy on the eggnog and stay safe.
******Note the pic is the Wise Hobbyhorse Men from the *Exclusive* Limited Edition David Owen Christmas Cards. Go here http://folkshop.efdss.org/ to get these coveted art Christmas cards.******
1. Winter Wonderland - Bob Dylan
Pop goes the...
October 28, 2010 11:47 AM PDT
WARNING! There is pop in them there hills. I needed to get it out of my system - something about walks in the park with the dog, while the sun lights up crisp orange and brown leaves, the Stuart Murdochness of it all. But don't worry - it's only the first 3 tracks. But they are very good'ns.
Please excuse my lack of spoken commentary - due to flu and a very noisy puppy!
Come to twitter @Canyellas and facebook - just look up Canyella!
Headphones on, play very loud, sing.
1. Fallen Over - Rose Elinor Dougall (www.myspace.com/roseelinordougallmusic)
September 19, 2010 10:04 AM PDT
Morris is sexy. I am sorry but it is true. I recently attended a morris dancing extravaganza at the Southbank in London...it moved me and now I am looking for a side to join...in the meantime its all folky today.
1. Swaggering Gathering-Ashley Hutchings- www.folkicons.co.uk/ashley.htm
2. The Pepperpot / Banksie - Dave Swarbrick & Kevin Dempsey - www.folkicons.co.uk/swarb.htm
3. Monkeys Trunkle-Sophie's Pigeons - www.myspace.com/sophienelson
4. Gypsies - Jim Moray - www.jimmoray.co.uk
5. The Nutting Girl - Cyril Poacher(The Alan Lomax Collection..)
6. Train Song - Pentangle (see talking elephant)
7. Hyperboreans - Jackie Oates - www.jackieoates.co.uk
8. Without You - Devil Goat Family String Band - www.myspace.com/devilgoatfamilystringband
NB - track 8 has hidden track if you wait a bit
The fellas in the pic are Stone Monkey www.folkspace.free-online.co.uk/stonemonkey/monkey.htm - NOT morris but sword dancing (or rapping...yes, rapping)
Generally speaking for the best in folk: www.talkingelephant.co.ukCharlie's an Angel
May 28, 2010 08:40 AM PDT
My tribute, though brief, to the wonderful Charlie Gillett. A true English gentleman, friend and mentor to myself and so many others. We will miss you so much.
Now, play on....
For more on Charlie see www.soundoftheworld.com
1. Let's Have a Party - Amos Milburn
May 02, 2010 09:15 AM PDT
Some rainy day sounds - a little this and a little that - staring out the window thinking of that someone who lives a million miles away kind of groove.
1. How Can I Forget You (Sewbekagn) - Invisible System - www.myspace.com/invisiblesystem
2. Wanting and Waiting - Kathryn Williams - www.kathrynwilliams.net
3. To Beat the Devil - Kris Kristofferson - www.kriskristofferson.com
4. I Just Want to Spend Some Time With You - Howard Eliott Payne - www.howardeliottpayne.com
5. Come to Me - Koop - www.myspace.com/koop
6. Boy 1904 - Jonsi & Alex - jonsi.com
7. Rosa (K+K Streich Quartet version) - Tosca - www.k7.com
**I promise to buy a new mic! And yes I did deliberately accidentally 'mix' the 2 last tracks.Antediluvian strings and tin cans
February 21, 2010 01:13 PM PST
There are signs of spring despite the ice, which is good as most of us wouldn't last much longer without a bit of warmth. It's been a rough decade...bring on the thaw.
1. Misirlou - Manolis Agelopoulos
December 22, 2009 05:08 PM PST
Break out the mantecados and bizcochitos...feliz navidad!
1. Vamos Pa' El Campo - Peret
December 19, 2009 02:34 PM PST
Something to peel your potatoes too...not exclusively Christmas themed but very much in keeping with the mood I think.
1. Christmas TV - Slow Club
August 03, 2009 03:44 PM PDT
The sun made an appearance here in London but it is gone now and everyone is chucking out their BBQs. Summer is usually a time of a bit of nostalgia so there is a bit of that thrown in here..I challenge you not to sing to 'Must I Paint You a Picture'! And don't worry, Quantic, with his usual mastery, funks it up in the end.
1. Let's Fall Back In Love - Slow Club
2. Come Monday Night - God Help the Girl
5. Must I Paint You a Picture - Billy Bragg
6. A Taste Of Honey - Chet Baker
7. Undelivered Letter - Quantic & His Combo BarbaroDownpour
July 05, 2009 04:21 AM PDT
The heat wave has given way to overcast skies and the atmosphere is a bit heavy...hoping for a cleansing downpour. Some music to match.
The gorgeous Chris Wood champions traditional new English and 'world' folk - please try to see him live if you can and pick up Albion. He is wonderful. Also the Smoke Fairies are doing the festival circuit in a big way this year so do try to catch them.
Ah. Here comes the rain.
1. Wonder - Oi Va Voi - Travelling the Face of the Globe (www.oi-va-voi.com)
June 12, 2009 11:59 AM PDT
This episode is to accompany all of our hopes for a sunny summer of love. Neko Case's new album 'Middle Cyclone' is one to pick up, and if you are a Balkan fanatic, Ahilea's 'Svetlana' is right up your street. A little nostalgia with a track from Ojos de Brujo's 'Vengue' (their new album 'Aocaná' is out now) and some other little goodies to get you in the mood.
You will have to imagine a commentary for this episode while my microphone sleeps.
1. This Tornado Loves You - Neko Case (www.nekocase.com)
March 09, 2009 10:38 AM PDT
1. Mhandu ye hove - Stella Chiweshe
2. Ibiza Club n°.1 Fancy Night - Olah Vince & Earth Wheel Sky Band www.earthwheelskyband.com
3. Zerzevat adam - The Vegetable Man - Babazula & Mad Professor
4. Death Is Not Final - SHACKLETON
5. Ca la Nunta - Oana Catalina Chitu
6. Red Noodle - Circus Contraption
January 16, 2009 04:45 AM PST
Questions, requests and comments please ! email@example.com
“Taken by the tide way out to sea, past the friends that we used to be” - as Williams and MacColl put it...
1. Come With Me - Kathryn Williams & Neill MacColl(www.williamsmaccoll.com)
2. Bibo No Aozora/Endless Flight/Babel - Ryuichi Sakamoto, Jaques Morelenbaum & Everton Nelson / Gustavo Santaolalla - Babel Original Soundtrack (www.myspace.com/gustavosantaolalla)
3. Growl - Tanya Tagaq (www.tanyatagaq.com)
4. Gobbledigook - Sigur Ros (www.sigurros.com)
5. Maajun (A Taste Of Tangier) - Dav(e)y Graham (www.daveygraham.moonfruit.com)
6. Olilili - Miriam Makeba (www.miriammakeba.co.za)
(In the background were more tracks from Santaolalla's Babel Soundtrack)The night before the world changed...hopefully
November 03, 2008 04:00 PM PST
4 November 2008 - Music for the (potentially) paradigm shifting result
1. Hiszekeny - Venetian Snares - www.venetiansnares.com
July 29, 2008 05:26 AM PDT
After an absence of sometime I am back...this episode is the usual sweep across the globe, indulging in the best music humanity has to offer.
1. Kinky Haroosh - Shooglenifty (www.shoogle.com)
Please note: I am still having some technical difficulties with my microphone so bear with me. CanyellaApril Showers
April 21, 2008 09:31 AM PDT
When all else fails music lifts us - it's like laughing. Absolutely necessary. Another mish mash from all sorts of corners.
1. Joséphine - Rachid Taha http://rachidtaha.artistes.universalmusic.fr/
March 18, 2008 07:08 AM PDT
Purely in the spirit of spreading Balkan and Tziganes musements.
1. Mekapses Yitonisa - Estradasphere (www.estradasphere.com)
February 12, 2008 07:46 AM PST
Sweeping lullabies from Armenia and America, lapping water on a beach with the sound of an Ethiopian lyre, clocks ticking and time passing. Not in that order and much more...music this week to sit back to.
1. Counting Time - Justin Breame (60X60)(www.voxnovus.com/60x60.htm)
2. Stopped Clock - Austere
3. Our Time - Kieran Hebden & Steve Reid (www.kieranhebdenandstevereid.com)
4. It's You - Animal Collective and Vashti Bunyan (www.anotherday.co.uk)(www.myanimalhome.net)
5. Creek Lullaby - Margaret (Library of Congress - A Treasury of Field Recordings)
6. The Book - Temesgen (www.myspace.com/temesgensmusic )
7. Taroni Oror - Hasmik Harutyunyan & The Shoghaken Ensemble
8. Avenue of Hope - I Am Kloot (www.iamkloot.com)
9. To Heal - Underworld (trafficjpn.com/underworld)
10. The Beginning - John Murphy (28 Days Later Soundtrack) (www.sunshinethemovie.co.uk)
11. L'Amitié - Kazumi & Maïa
12. 56 Seconds of Creep - Katrina Wreede (60X60)
13. Huis Clos - Laurent Garnier (www.myspace.com/garnierlaurent)
14. Atoms for Peace (Four Tet Remix) - Thom Yorke (www.fourtet.net)(www.theeraser.net)
15. Six - Rheostatics (www.rheostatics.ca)Lilting and bear baiting on a Mexican hillside
February 04, 2008 01:30 PM PST
Whipping us round the globe again. From Mexican Brass to Irish lilting and Romanian ursari...dip your toe into Brasil with 'novo' Baile Funk but from South and rebranded rhythms from the North...and more.
1. Coriander - Nancy Elizabeth www.nancyelizabeth.co.uk
January 22, 2008 12:01 PM PST
Laying awake at night in bed and you cannot sleep. From Jonny Greenwood to little known Welsh band 9Bach, the annonymous Burial to The Album Leaf featuring members of Sigur Ros and Amiina...lay back, headphones on..
1. Sienna - Kiln (myspace.com/kilnaudio)
January 11, 2008 06:49 AM PST
Taking you around the world, a brief trip from Northern Norway to to Czech Republic to Chile to Romania and much more.
1. Do Do Bide - Kardes Türküler
December 24, 2007 05:14 PM PST
This is a Christmas podcast...from around the world. It is also nearly 1am on Christmas day so Happy Holidays and I will get the track details up as soon as possible. Here is some (mostly Christmasy) English folk, with a bit of Alan Lomax, Ariel Ramirez, the London Bulgarian Choir and much more including an extra bonus track at the end which very barely fits the remit but I couldn't resist. Enjoy your eggnog and remember maybe to give something to those less fortunate...if you can. But you don't need me to remind you of that.
Best and be safe,
1. Oj Livado - Bows and Bellows
December 10, 2007 11:03 AM PST
I am back after a little break...with something to pop your hip flexors to.... you bellydance raks fiends you.
1. Esma Fetermix - Toma Fetermix
November 25, 2007 02:00 PM PST
Some explorations of folk and the like...
1. Way to Blue (Family Tree version) - Nick Drake
November 14, 2007 02:46 AM PST
An ode to Late Junction (BBC Radio 3) one of the best programmes available online...As you settle down for the evening stick this episode on...let it take you into sleep. I am delving into British Folk, of the modern kind...there is a little bit of that here, but there will be more to come. Here you will find a bit of folk, a bit of softly thoughtful sound, spaces and words.
Rainbow Warriors - CocoRosie
This Is All We Have to Know – Helene
Silver Morning Branches – Voice of the Seven Woods
Diarabi (l'amour / love) and Fadjiri Seli (la prière de l'aube / the morning prayer) – Lipitone
Slavinka - Edgar de L'est
Valse de Simon - Michael Macias
Bessleiken - Streif
Cutting Branches - Another Fine Day
Step IX - Hepa Halme Prespeki
The Searchlight – The Happening
Com Aijo – Vartiina
Ffynnon – Celtic music from Wales
October 23, 2007 02:32 AM PDT
Inspired by all you bellydancers out there, the Indigo in particular...pop pop pop pop!
1. Nour Balady - Amir Sofi
October 17, 2007 02:10 PM PDT
You may or may not notice that Podomatic is having technical diffulties. Please make a note of my webpage in case this thing crashes completely! www.myspace.com/jillienes
This week there's a bit of a Greek theme, though not entirely...
1. Nana (Greek version live) - Ojos de Brujo
Photo - Pamela GutrathCanyella is cinnamon in Catalan
October 04, 2007 04:52 AM PDT
Some music hot off the press, much from Catalunya...very moving stuff. Kicking off with the fabulous Laxula and ending with the also fabulous Fanfara Tirana...
1. La Luna - Laxula (a.m.a.)
September 25, 2007 03:58 PM PDT
This week's episode is solomn, quiet and thoughtful, and includes some beautiful tracks, in my humble opinion. And what is it about Bulgarian close part harmony that make ya wanna cry??
1. Larmes Gitanes - Manitas De Plata
September 15, 2007 04:25 PM PDT
A little more upbeat this week...have a party, alone or with a couple mates...you know the procedure! Balkan craziness....Poza, Max Pashm, brand new Shukar Collective, yet another Minor Swing, Stelar, N.O.H.A., Bregovic, Rona Hartner / Dj Click, Shagara, Basement Jaxx, Shantel and the fabulous and in my opinion better than Gogol Bordello :0, Asakusa Jinta (from Japan!).
September 09, 2007 08:42 AM PDT
A little taster, mostly 1930s swing and jazz..
September 01, 2007 09:21 AM PDT
A little klezmer, a little nomadic...cause that is how I feel today.
1. Elo Hi (Canto Nero) - Ofra Haza
August 24, 2007 02:15 PM PDT
The rain never went away really, here in London, which makes me feel a wee bit homesick..so starting off with some Canadiana then moving into the fabulous DeVotchKa and some manouchey grooves, brand new tracks from Gaetano Fabri and Shantel, ending with a piece that hints at the Passion of Christ soundtrack which kicked it all off for me way back in the day...
Stay dry, play loud.
1. Sun Comes up its Tuesday Morning - Cowboy Junkies
August 13, 2007 03:24 PM PDT
Starting slow and easy working up to a happy mellow with a hip shake or two.
1. Quand tu viens chez moi mon coeur - Annie Fratellini
August 05, 2007 01:27 PM PDT
I was complaining about the cold and rain before? Well now its hot hot hot! So here is music to go with the weather... ssssssssssssssssssssssssssss.
photo credit - Antoine Rouleau
1. Malquerida - Nubla
July 29, 2007 07:10 AM PDT
photo by Aleksandra Radonić - amazing photographer - check her out on http://www.flickr.com/people/radonic/
1. Θέμα Στα Κρουστά - Loxandra (www.myspace.com/loxandra)
July 23, 2007 02:04 PM PDT
Il pleut toujours! Something to stop the rain or we all will float away!
1. Rece cica da me zeni - Runo
July 16, 2007 01:41 AM PDT
Shifting the mood back towards to the heat of the latin family...PLAY LOUD! EYYY! ¿Dónde está mi tequila?!
July 05, 2007 05:48 AM PDT
You're in a car...there is a very long straight road stretched out before you...it's finally getting a bit hot so you have to roll down all the windows...just drive....see what you find. Peace? Freedom? Hope? More trouble? All of the above? Who knows. Let me know what happens.
1. Further-Deeper - Oi Va Voi
June 23, 2007 03:33 PM PDT
Someone on the Sound of the World forum said that they liked it '1 degree above zero' so that is this week's feel. Rather than a bar (smoky dimly lit and underground) though, I am wrapped in a blanket sitting round a fire waiting for the kettle to boil and its a little chilly because its dusk.
Starting with a little Canadiana, then a sevdalinka from an album called Bent Basa (www.myspace.com/bentbasa) which I highly recommend you purchase immediately. Moving into, and strangely it blends, a bit of flamenco based music, first from El Puchero Del Hortelano in Granada (also on myspace), then Marina Heredia. The lovely Kroke from Poland bring us to Ederlezi from Le Temps des Gitans and Je t'ai cherché from Transylvania soundtracks. This episode is wrapped up with Les Italiens, a couple of melancholy songs of Balkan origin and finally a fantastic track from Ramallah Underground. Stay til the end!
Full track listings to come - apologies but I am eager to post this episode. Thanks to Jamie Renton for allowing my at the decks this week and Charlie Gillett for such wonderful support...and Robert Soko hvala ti umjesto sudioništvo današji seta zaslužno.
June 13, 2007 08:22 AM PDT
This is not strictly jazz or manouche or even 'world music'. I am thinking single malt whisky, cigarette, trying to decipher a conversation two tables away, but you can only hear every other word, in French, but it sounds controversial and intriguing. This is pensive, moody, romantic, intimate, tragic.
Ce n'est pas nécessairement jazz ou musique de manouche ou même 'du monde '. Je pense le single malt whisky, une cigarette, tout en essayant de déchiffrer d'une conversation tout pres, mais vous pouvez seulement entendre chaque autre mot, en anglais, mais il semble controversé et intrigues. C'est morose, pensif, romantique, intime, tragique.
June 01, 2007 11:33 AM PDT
Tracks to bring out your inner Goddess (be you male or female)... 'It's all in the knees' so I've been told!
This one is for Nensi (www.myspace.com/nensimelia).
1.El hombre y el Saidi - Hossam Ramzy & Jose Luis Monton
May 18, 2007 02:36 AM PDT
Instructions – invite at least two friends round for an impromptu gypsy fest (hip belts optional)...drink copious amount of wine (or absinthe if you are going for the exotic approach) and dance until you fall into a drunken messy but happy heap loving each other. Take nap. [PLAY LOUD]
Many thanks to those who sent me their tracks last minute (Forty Thieves, BJ Nevenko, Sacha Dieu, Typsy Gypsy).
Au Delà du feu de Camp Gitan
Des instructions - invitez au moins deux amis chez vous pour un fest gitan impromptu (la hanche ceinture avec les coins, facultatif). Buvez la quantité copieuse de vin (ou d'absinthe si vous desirez l'approche exotique) et de danse jusqu'à ce que vous tombiez dans un tas malpropre mais heureux, ivre faisant l'amour entre eux. Prenez un petit somme. [ JEU FORT]
Trans Balkan Express – OMFO
May 18, 2007 02:04 AM PDT
This is organic tziganes to cuddle by or to sob to, depending , I suppose on what kind of day you are having. With any luck you can find someone to wrap yourself around. If you would prefer to rave in a more nihilistic mad sort of way, check out part 2. [PLAY LOUD]
Special thanks to Gaetano Fabri for inspiration, Sacha Dieu for Tutti Frutti and Norgi for such a beautiful song!
C'est les tziganes organiques à caresser à ou au sanglot à, dépendant, je suppose dépend comment votre jour est. Si vous êtes chanceux vous pouvez trouver quelqu'un pour vous envelopper autour. Si vous préféreriez délirer dans une sorte folle plus nihiliste de manière, écoutez la partie 2. [ JEU FORT]
Un special merci a Gaetano Fabri pour inspiration, Sacha Dieu pour Tutti Frutti et a Norig pour une si belle chanson!
Am iubit si-am sa iubesc (Que l'amour me consume) – Mariana Badoiu
May 04, 2007 05:59 AM PDT
From Peret (the King of rumba) to Pantanito (nuevo-rumba). This form of rumba emerged when Catalan gypsies literally imported Cuban rumba (like the first track I have included) into their music. Rumba is happy, not dramatic like flamenco with a signature sound of el ventilador where the guitar, rather than drums, gives the rhythm.
Check out compilations such as '25 Rumba Catalan Hits' from K Industria (www.kindustria.com) and the forthcoming Achili Funk (available in Spain end of May and UK in September – www.myspace.com/achilifunk). And for current stuff check out the members of http://groups.myspace.com/rumbagitana.
Maybe catch you in Barcelona at KGB on a Thursday sometime this summer – in the meantime enjoy the podcast.
Leave comments! Subscribe to my podcast!
(Thanks to Txarly Brown and Rufino (www.rufinoydondomingo.es).
1. Rumbatona - Lecuona Cuban Boys
DJ Canyella on Facebook
REMEMBER TO SUBSCRIBE TO THIS PODCAST Also more over on http://soundcloud.com/canyella Join me on FACEBOOK!! [http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#/pages/DJ-Canyella/55513542439?ref=nf] If you like what you hear buy it direct from the artists if you can. SUPPORT THE ARTISTS! If you cannot find the music let me know and I will put you in contact.
Canyella 's Friends
Subscribe to this Podcast